Can You Place a Round Coffee Table in a Rectangular Room?
Decorating a rectangular room can be a tricky visual task, as every item must be placed in the right spot to achieve the look you want. A round coffee table in particular requires careful placement in a rectangular room, because it doesn’t complement the right angles.
Considerations for Placement
When considering where to put a round coffee table in a rectangular room, keep some things in mind:
- Size: A round coffee table should be large enough to fit the sofa or seating arrangement it is used in front of. If there’s not enough room for a large round table, look for compact versions or use an oval or rectangular table instead.
- Layout: A round coffee table should be placed in the middle of the sofa or seating arrangement, but in the middle of the room if there’s no furniture. Keep furniture within 6 feet of the table, as seating and other pieces should appear to “touch” it.
- Balance: The round table should be symmetrical with surrounding furniture and artwork, with plenty of space and balance between two objects on either side.
Making It Work
You can make a round table work in a rectangular room by:
- Placing it parallel to the wall at an angle, making sure each side of the table has the same amount of space.
- Using a smaller, round coffee table and introducing a rectangular piece to balance it.
- Positioning the round coffee table slightly diagonally in the center of the room, as this will help break up the rigid furniture.
In conclusion, a round coffee table can work in a rectangular room, although it should be placed strategically to bring in a dose of visual interest and soften the corner angles.