Why is There a Ridge Inside Chemex Glass Coffee Maker?
Chemex is a classic and widely used glass coffee maker that has been around since the 1940s. Its iconic hourglass shape and wood collar are hallmarks of its design, as is the ridge that runs around the bottom of the vessel. This distinctive interior feature serves a specific purpose that helps to produce a better cup of coffee.
How the Ridge Works
The ridge inside Chemex has two main functions. Firstly, it helps distribute the heat evenly when brewing coffee. This means that the grounds are heated up uniformly and the liquid never sits too long on too much of the coffee while passing through the filter.
Secondly, the ridge aids in the flow of coffee out of the Chemex. As the brewed coffee passes through the filter, it collects along the edges of the Chemex. The ridge allows for a more even flow by causing the coffee to pool in the center away from the edges, giving it a clear path to the spout.
Why using the Ridge is Beneficial
Using the ridge inside a Chemex helps to promote an even and steady flow of coffee, providing a better cup. It reinforces the required elements of a good brew, like timing, temperature, grind size, and positioning the filter. All of this leads to a cup that is vibrant and flavorful.
Aside from the advantages in producing a better drink, the ridge also makes cleaning easier. It allows coffee oils to collect in the center of the coffee maker, preventing them from being left on the edges.
Brewing with the Ridge
To get the most out of your Chemex coffee maker and use the ridge properly, follow these steps:
- Place the filter: First, you will want to make sure the filter fits correctly, so that it covers the entire ridge within the carafe.
- Grind the coffee: A medium-fine grind is usually the best size for the Chemex coffee maker.
- Bloom the coffee: When adding the coffee grounds, you will want to start with a small amount and “bloom” it by pouring a small amount of hot water over the grounds. This expands them and helps remove unwanted flavors.
- Add the water: Next, add more hot water slowly and steadily. Make sure to avoid splashing, as this could lead to uneven warming of the grounds.
- Allow brew time: Once all of the water has been added, let the coffee steep for 4 minutes before pouring it into a cup or carafe.
By following these steps and using the ridge in your Chemex coffee maker, you will be able to make a cup of high-quality coffee that is as good as if it was made by a professional barista.