Glass Coffee Carafe vs. Thermal: Which Is Better?
Coffee enthusiasts understand the importance of temperature and taste when brewing a great cup of coffee. As a result, the debate between glass coffee carafe and thermal has been ongoing. Which one best preserves the heat and flavor of your favorite cup of joe?
Glass Coffee Carafe Pros
- Won’t Leach Toxins: Glass won’t leach toxins as some metals can, so you can be sure that your coffee doesn’t get ruined by a metallic taste.
- Inexpensive: Glass carafes are inexpensive compared to other carafes, such as those made of stainless steel.
- Easy to Clean: Glass carafes are easy to clean, since they are made of non-porous glass.
Glass Coffee Carafe Cons
- Glass Can Break: Glass can break easily, creating a hazardous situation that can result in injury.
- Hot to Handle: Glass carafes can be hot to handle, as the heat from the coffee can quickly travel through the glass.
- Insulation: The insulation from the hot coffee is limited with glass carafes, as compared to thermal carafes.
- Insulated: Thermal carafes are insulated, so the heat will not dissipate until much later than with a glass carafe.
- Longer Retention of Heat: Thermal carafes are able to retain the heat of the coffee much longer, so your cup of joe will stay hot longer.
- Durability: Thermals are often made of stainless steel, which is much more durable than glass and can withstand bumps and drops.
- Price: Thermals can be quite expensive, as compared to a glass carafe.
- Leaching: Some metals can leach chemicals into the coffee, creating a metallic flavor.
- Difficult Cleaning: Ridges and nooks in the metal can become a challenge to clean properly, if not cared for correctly.
Whether you choose a glass coffee carafe or a thermal carafe, the choice ultimately boils down to your personal preferences and needs. Glass is a great option if you don’t want to spend a lot of money and want something that is easy to clean. However, thermals are the choice for those who want to keep their coffee warm for extended periods of time.