Pick the right wood for the perfect coffee table
Coffee tables are typically made of wood, but the type of wood varies and there are several options you can use. Selecting a wood type for your coffee table should take your budget and personal style into consideration.
Types of Wood for a Coffee Table
- Reclaimed Wood – This type of wood has been used in previous structures, such as barns and warehouses. Reclaimed wood generally provides a more rustic and homey feel to the space.
- Maple– Maple is a strong and durable hardwood that is typically pale yellow, with a fine and even grain pattern. Maple is often used for furniture because it looks traditional and is resistant to gaining scratches.
- Oak– Oak is a tight-grained wood that is both beautiful and durable. Oak wood sourced from the U.S. and Europe tends to have more natural knots and swirls that give it a unique rustic look.
- Cherry– Cherry wood is used for furniture because it is strong and resistant to scratches. Its colors range from a light golden hue to a rich brown hue with time and exposure to sunlight.
- Pine– Pine wood is one of the softer types of wood, often used for furniture because it is light in color and much less expensive than other types of wood.
Additional Factors to Consider
When picking a wood for your coffee table, make sure to keep in mind not just the type of wood, but also the finish. If you want a more traditional look, go for a glossy, shiny finish to make the table stand out. For a more rustic look, go for a more natural finish.
Finally, consider your budget. Depending on the type of wood and the size of the coffee table, it can get really pricey. Consider using reclaimed wood, which is generally more affordable, so you can get the look you want without spending a fortune.
Choosing the right wood for your coffee table can be daunting and it is important to take your time to find the perfect wood. The coffee table is a prominent piece of furniture, so make sure to pick a wood type that enhances the aesthetics of your living space.