What Type of Wood to Use for Coffee Tables
Coffee tables are a staple piece of furniture in living rooms and living spaces, and they can often become a beautiful centerpiece. So what type of wood is best to use if you’re looking to make your own coffee table? Let’s take a look at some of the features of various kinds of wood to get an idea of how they might work.
Hardwoods are the ideal choice for furniture, as they are durable and have a good finish. These woods are great for achieving traditional and classic looks, as well as modern and contemporary designs. Some of the most popular hardwood options for furniture include:
- Oak: Oak is much loved by woodworkers due to its strength and good looks. It provides a timeless, ageless look to any furniture piece.
- Walnut: Walnut is a beautiful material that has a deep, rich color and plenty of grain. It is a very dense wood, so it’s great for making sturdy coffee tables.
- Cherry: This type of wood has a red hue and plenty of grain. It is easy to work with, making it ideal for coffee tables.
Softwoods are cheaper than hardwoods, so they are often used in budget furniture. They are still relatively durable and workable, however, so they are still a viable option. A few common softwoods used in furniture are:
- Pine: Pine is a light wood with a lot of grain, making it an attractive choice for furniture. It is also easy to customize and paint, perfect for creating unique coffee tables.
- Fir: This is a light yet sturdy wood, which is often used for traditional styles of furniture. It is also quite affordable, making it a great choice for budget-conscious buyers.
- Cedar: This wood is known for its lovely, sweet smell and its light, knotty grain. It can be used to create vintage and rustic looks, making it a great choice for vintage-style coffee tables.
Overall, there are many wood options available for making coffee tables. Hardwoods are durable and have a great finish, while softwoods can be used for budget-friendly and unique pieces. Taking into consideration the price, look and durability of a wood is essential when choosing the right material for your coffee table.