Upcycling an Old Glass Coffee Table
Tired of your old glass coffee table? Don’t worry, you don’t have to spend money on a new one just yet. Here are some creative ways to spruce up and repurpose that beloved glass coffee table.
Create a Lightbox Tabletop
A classic lightbox table is an easy and affordable way to give new life to your old glass coffee table.
- Gather your supplies. You’ll need: Your glass coffee table, two pieces of acrylic sheeting, 6″x1″ corner brackets, tape measure, spirit level, clamps, drill, screws.
- Measure the tabletops. Measure the length and width of your table and cut the acrylic sheeting to size.
- Install corner brackets. Line up the corner brackets with the center corners of the table surface, clamp them in place, then use a drill to bore pilot holes and attach the screws. Make sure you press the brackets against the tabletop so that the acrylic panels sits perfectly flush when installed.
- Attach the acrylic. Check the corners to make sure the acrylic panels fit flush and nicely. Next, position the panels, one on top of the other, over the corner brackets. Secure in place with clamps, then attach with screws.
Re-Finish or Paint
Give your glass coffee table a quick makeover by re-finishing or painting it.
- Clean the table. Thoroughly clean the table with a damp cloth, making sure that all residue and dirt are removed.
- Strip the table. Strip the table of any existing coatings with a chemical stripper. Make sure to wear protective goggles and gloves.
- Sand the table. Once all existing coatings are removed, lightly sand the glass with a fine sandpaper to create a smooth surface for the new finish.
- Apply the finish. Select a sealer or paint for your desired finish and apply a thin, even coat. Allow the finish to dry according to the product instructions.
With just a few simple steps, you can give your old glass coffee table a trendy and stylish new look.