Finishing a Wood Coffee Table
Finishing a wood coffee table is a great way to add style to your home while protecting the surface of the wood. There’s a wide array of options to choose from, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. To help you decide the best option for your wood coffee table here’s a list of the most popular choices:
- Clear sealants are a great way to protect the wood without obscuring its natural beauty. They’re relatively easy to apply and don’t require much preparation.
- An oil-based sealant will darken the wood slightly, but it won’t change the color drastically. This is a popular choice for people who want a subtle, natural look.
- Water-based sealants, on the other hand, will give the wood a glossy finish without darkening it.
- One of the disadvantages of using a clear sealant is that it won’t protect the wood from staining. If that’s a concern, then you may want to use a different finish.
Stains and Paints
- Applying a stain to your wood coffee table is a great way to change its color. There’s a wide variety of colors to choose from, and it’s easy to find a stain that will look great with your table.
- Paint is another great choice that offers even more customization. You can find paints in any color, and you can even mix colors to create a one-of-a-kind look.
- One disadvantage of using paint or stain is that it will make the wood more difficult to repair in the future. If the finish were to be damaged, it would need to be completely replaced.
Varnish is a great way to protect your wood while still maintaining the look of the wood. It is available in both glossy and matte finishes, and it is relatively easy to apply. Varnish is resistant to water, stains, and scratches and will last for many years.
- One downside of using varnish is that it can be difficult to repair if it becomes damaged. Also, it’s important to make sure that the surface is clean and free of dust before applying the varnish.
Choosing the right finish for your wood coffee table can be daunting, but with a little research, you can find the perfect finish. Consider your needs, preferences, and budget before deciding on the best option for your table.