What Finish to Use on a Live Edge Coffee Table
Live edge coffee tables add a warm, inviting feel to any living space. Many of these tables come without an applied finish, allowing for the natural beauty of the wood grain to shine through. However, a finish must be applied to protect the coffee table from scratches and damage.
Types of Finish
There are three types of finish that can be used on a live edge coffee table:
- Lacquer: This finish is often used to achieve a glossy look. It is a durable option, but prone to yellowing over time.
- Oil: Oil is a popular option as it helps to preserve the look of the wood while also providing a degree of protection. Ideally, oil should be applied regularly to maintain the finish.
- Wax: This type of finish gives a matte look and is often preferred for modern, contemporary decor. Wax offers minimal protection and should be reapplied every few months.
Tips for Applying a Finish
Whichever type of finish you choose, the following tips will help to ensure it is applied properly:
- Always use a lint-free cloth when applying the finish.
- Apply the finish in thin coats and allow it to dry completely before applying the next coat.
- Allow the table to dry for 48 hours before using it.
- Keep the table clean and dust-free to maintain the finish.
A live edge coffee table is a beautiful addition to any living space and the proper finish will help preserve its natural beauty for years to come.