Should a Coffee Table Be Higher Than a Couch?
Finding the right height for a coffee table can be tricky. Many people think that the ideal height is when the coffee table is slightly higher than the sofa. But is that always the case?
In this article, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of having a coffee table that is higher than the sofa and help you decide the best height for your coffee table.
Pros of Having a Higher Coffee Table
- Easy to Reach – One of the advantages of having a higher coffee table is that it makes it easier to reach things on the table. This is especially beneficial for people who have difficulty bending or reaching down to grab items from a lower coffee table.
- More Storage Space – The height of the coffee table also determines how much storage space is available. A higher coffee table can provide more storage space for books, magazines, remotes, and other items.
- Better Aesthetic Appeal – Having a coffee table that is higher than the sofa gives the room more visual interest and makes the room look more balanced and elegant. The higher coffee table creates an interesting contrast between the two furniture pieces and can be a great way to add a touch of style to your living room.
Cons of Having a Higher Coffee Table
- Cluttered Look – While a higher coffee table can provide more storage space, it can also lead to a cluttered look if not managed properly. If the items on the table are not neatly arranged, it can make the room appear messy and disorganized.
- Difficult to Reach –If the coffee table is too high, it can be difficult to reach things on the top. This is especially true for elderly people or those with back or knee problems.
- Uncomfortable Seating – Having a coffee table that is too high can make it difficult to sit comfortably. If the table is higher than the sofa, it can be uncomfortable for people to lean forward and place their drink on the table.
When it comes to deciding the right height for a coffee table, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. The height should depend on the size of the room and the type of furniture in it. For example, taller furniture will look better with a higher coffee table and vice versa.
Ultimately, the best way to decide is to experiment and see what looks and feels the best for your living room.