How to Write on Glass Coffee Mugs
Coffee mugs make great gifts, but they can be even more special when you personalize them. Writing on a glass coffee mug can be slightly tricky due to the non-porous nature of glass, but thankfully it is possible! Read on for the perfect how-to guide on writing on glass coffee mugs.
To get the job done, you will need the following items:
- Glass coffee mug
- A permanent marker (*Note: Make sure the marker is labeled as “permanent” so that your design doesn’t come off in the dishwasher!)
- Optional: acrylic paint
- Start by washing the glass mug with soap and water. Make sure it’s free of any oils or residue to ensure the marker and paint sticks.
- Let the mug air dry or dry with a soft cloth. Do not use a paper towel, as the fibers can scratch the glass mug.
- Once the mug is fully dry, begin drawing the design of your choice with the permanent marker. A popular way to write on glass is with a calligraphy style.
- Optional: you can also paint on the glass mug with acrylic paint. Test this on a small area first to make sure the paint will stick. When painting on the mug, use small brush strokes instead of covering large areas.
- Allow the design to air dry before putting it in the dishwasher. (*Note: Be sure to find out if the permanent marker you used is dishwasher safe).
And there you have it! Now you know how to write on glass coffee mugs and make a special personalized gift for a friend or family member. Happy writing!