Spraying a Wooden Coffee Table
Getting a new look for any old furniture is always exciting. And when it comes to giving new life to a wooden coffee table, spraying paint is an easy and effective way to transform it. Here’s how to do it:
Preparing The Surface
- Remove the Old Finish: The first step is to strip away the old finish. This can be done most easily by employing chemical strippers. Apply the stripper to the table using a natural bristle brush, making sure to work in the direction of the wood grain.
- Sand: After the chemical stripper has done its job, the surface should to be sanded lightly to make sure it’s smooth and ready for painting.
- Clean The Surface: Any dust left over from the sanding should then be wiped away with a clean cloth and cleaned thoroughly with a solution of mild detergent and water.
- Prime: Before the painting process can begin, the table must be primed. This will help the paint to adhere better to the wood and give a uniform finish.
Once the surface is ready, it’s time to spray paint. Here’s what to do:
- Choose Your Paint: The first step when it comes to choosing paint is to decide if you’ll be using an oil-based or water-based paint. Oil-based paints give a more durable finish and may be necessary for a higher-traffic area. Water-based paints are easier to clean, and are better suited for areas with lower traffic.
- Set Up: Before you begin, you’ll need to set up a spray booth and be sure that proper ventilation is in place. Wear proper protective gear such as a mask, gloves and a long-sleeved shirt.
- Spray: Now it’s time to start spraying. Paint in even layers, overlapping each and allowing about 10 minutes for each coat to dry. After the desired number of coats, allow the paint to dry for 24 hours.
- Protection: After the paint has been applied, it’s a good idea to apply a sealer to add further protection and to give the paint an added sheen.
Spraying paint is an easy and inexpensive way to give new life to an old wooden coffee table. As long as the surface has been properly prepared and the painting process is done carefully and methodically, it can be a great way to change the look and feel of your furniture.