Sanding a Wood Coffee Table
Having a wood coffee table is a great way to bring a touch of sophistication to your home. However, over time your wood coffee table may start to look scuffed or scratched. It will eventually need to be sanded down before you can refinish it so it looks as good as new. It’s important to choose the right tools to get the job done correctly and to sand your coffee table as safely as possible.
Things You’ll Need:
- A power sander
- Fine grit sandpaper
- Paintbrushes-both small and large
- Cleaning cloths
- Protective eyewear
- Dust mask
- Wear Eye Protection. Before you begin to sand, put on safety glasses or goggles to protect your eyes from flying wood particles.
- Dust Your Coffee Table. Then you’ll want to use a paintbrush or cloth to remove any dust from the coffee table. You want the wood to be free of dust before you start to sand it.
- Start With A Coarse Grit Sandpaper. Select a coarse grit sandpaper and begin lightly making a circular motion with the sander. Move the sander in all directions to make sure you’re reaching all crevices and cracks.
- Change To A Medium Grit Sandpaper. After you’ve thoroughly worked the table with a coarse grit sandpaper, then change to a medium grit sandpaper. Work the table with it in the same way as before.
- Finish With A Fine Grit Sandpaper. Select a fine grit sandpaper to polish and finish the table. Again, make sure to move the sander in all directions to get an even finish. Be careful not to apply too much pressure as this could leave visible scratches.
- Clean Off The Dust. When you’re finished sanding, use a cloth to clean off any lingering dust or debris.
- Be careful when sanding sharp corners or edges as you don’t want to damage the surface.
- If you’re using a power sander, be sure to wear a dust mask to protect yourself from wood particles.
- Make sure to hold the sander firmly and evenly when sanding to ensure an even finish.
Sanding a wood coffee table may seem like an intimidating task, but with the right tools and steps it can be done easily and safely. Follow these steps and you should have a beautiful, perfectly sanded coffee table in no time.