How to Restain a Coffee Table
A coffee table is often a focal point in your living room or family room. A well-maintained coffee table can add style and beauty to your space. However, if a coffee table has not been looked after, it can begin to look dull and lacklustre. To give your coffee table a fresh look, restaining it will be the best solution. Below are steps you can follow to re-stain your coffee table.
- Sanding – Begin by sanding the coffee table with medium-grit sandpaper, gently round off any sharp edges and corners. Make sure to wear protective gear like a dust mask, googles and gloves, while sanding.
- Wiping – Wipe down the entire surface of the coffee table with a damp cloth to remove any accumulated dust from sanding.
- Preparing – Prep the coffee table for staining by applying a coat of pre-stain wood conditioner. Allow the wood to dry overnight.
- Staining – Apply a thin coat of stain that suits your taste and desired look with a detailed brush. Make sure to move the brush in the direction of the wood grain, while allowing the wood to absorb the stain.
- Finishing – After the stain has dried, you can finish the coffee table with a clear coat of protective sealer or varnish for extra protection.
By following these steps you can restain your coffee table to give it new life. Restaining is not a difficult process and can be done within a weekend. With a bit of patience and few supplies, you will have a new, beautiful coffee table to show off in your living room.