Repairing a Chipped Coffee Table
It can be quite upsetting to discover your cherished or expensive glass coffee table has been damaged. Chipped glass can be unsightly and even hazardous if not taken care of properly. The good news is that you can easily fix chipped glass with some simple supplies, at a fraction of the cost of buying a new coffee table.
Tools and Supplies Needed
To repair a chipped glass coffee table, you will need:
- Glass filler
- Ammonia-based glass cleaner
- Safety glasses
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- Cotton cloths
- Painter’s tape
Step by Step Guide
- Start by cleaning the area to be repaired with an ammonia-based glass cleaner and a cotton cloth.
- Secure the area with painter’s tape. This will prevent any adhesive from inadvertently staining the glass.
- Apply the glass filler in small amounts over the chipped area, taking care not to overfill or create a bulging effect.
- Use a piece of fine-grit sandpaper to gently sand the area until it is smooth and even, taking care not to damage the surrounding glass.
- Wipe away the dust with a dry cotton cloth. You may need to repeat the sanding process for deeper or more jagged chips in the glass.
- Once the area has been sanded to your satisfaction, you can remove the painter’s tape.
- Wipe the repaired area down with an ammonia-based glass cleaner and a dry cotton cloth, to remove any residue.
With a few simple steps, you can have your chipped glass coffee table looking and functioning as good as new. Remember to always wear safety glasses when working with glass to avoid any potentially serious eye injuries.