Guide to Repainting the Top of a Coffee Table
Repainting the top of an old coffee table can breathes new life into an old piece of furniture, giving your home style an instant upgrade. Follow this simple guide to repainting a coffee table top with ease:
- Drop cloths
- Masking tape
- Begin by sanding the surface of the coffee table top with light grit sandpaper, removing any existing paint or varnish and creating a smooth, even surface.
- Once the sanding is complete, clean the surface of the table with a damp cloth.
- Lay down a drop cloth to protect the surrounding area, and mask off any edges you don’t want to be painted.
- Apply a coat of primer onto the tabletop and allow it to dry completely.
- Once the primer has completely dried, apply several coats of your chosen paint color, allowing each coat to dry completely before applying the next.
- Once the paint has completely dried and looks the way you want it, remove the masking tape, if used, and enjoy your freshly painted coffee table top!
- Always use a primer coat before painting to ensure a long-lasting finish.
- Be patient and allow plenty of drying time between coats.
- Be sure to use a low-VOC, or non-toxic, paint if you are doing the project near an open window or in a room with good ventilation.