How to Refurbish a Glass Coffee Table
Updating the furniture in your living room can be a fun task that might seem overwhelming. One such piece of furniture that can be refinished is a glass coffee table. This process of refurbishing can be a rewarding experience and will give the table a new life.
Steps to Take Before Refurbishing your Coffee Table
- Prepare the Table – Carefully remove any items that may be sitting atop the table. Wipe the surface clean with a damp cloth to remove any dust that may have built up over time. Remove the legs, hardware, and any other parts that can be disassembled.
- Chalk it Out: – Utilize some chalk to draw out the size and shape of the glass that will be used to replace the original glass. This will allow you to have an idea of what size and shape you need for the glass replacement.
- Gathering Supplies: – You will need supplies such as acrylic paint, primer, a sanding sponge or block, a paint brush, and glass cutters. In addition to the above, you should also have some newspaper or drop cloths to help protect your work area while you work.
Refinishing the Table
- Sanding: – Start off by sanding down the entire surface of the table using the sanding sponge or sanding block. Make sure to sand down to the bare wood. This will help the paint to better adhere to the surface.
- Primer: – Apply primer in a thin, even coat over the table. Do not apply too heavily. Allow the primer to completely dry before continuing.
- Paint: – Once the primer is dry, paint the entire surface of the table with a layer of acrylic paint. Let the paint dry completely before adding a second coat. Make sure to evenly cover the entire surface.
- Cutting the Glass: – Measure and mark the desired size and shape of the glass using the chalk lines. Utilize glass cutters to cut the glass to the correct size. Fit the glass over the surface of the table and secure with hardware.
- Reattach the Legs: – Use the same hardware that was previously removed to reattach the legs to the table.
- Apply Sealant: – To make sure the finish of the table will last, apply a sealant over the paint. This will help to protect it from wear and tear over time.
- Enjoy Your Refurbished Coffee Table: – You can now enjoy your newly refurbished coffee table! Congratulations on a job well done!
Refurbishing a glass coffee table can be an enjoyable experience. After following these simple steps, you can have a beautiful and modern piece of furniture that will transform the look of your living room.