How to Refinish a Wooden Coffee Table
Refinishing a wooden coffee table can give it a fresh look and dramatically update your home décor. Plus, refinishing furniture is a fairly quick and easy DIY project that’s great for all skill levels. Here’s our step-by-step guide on how to refinish a wooden coffee table:
Step One: Gather Supplies
Before you begin, you’ll need to source the necessary supplies:
- Sandpaper: Choose between 80 grit, 120 grit and 220 grit.
- Sanding sponge: Synthetic sanding sponges work well for this project.
- Tack cloth: To remove any dust particles from the surface.
- Safety goggles: To protect your eyes from debris.
- Wood stain: Choose a color to your liking.
- Stain applicator: Use a cotton rag, brush, or paint pad.
- Polyurethane: To seal and protect the wood.
Step Two: Prepare the Surface
Begin by sanding the table top to make the surface smooth and remove old stain or finish. Using 80-grit sandpaper, gently move the sandpaper in a circular motion. After sanding with the 80-grit sandpaper, switch to 120-grit and finish with 220-grit. Remove sanding debris with a tack cloth.
Step Three:Stain the Wood
Once the surface is prepared, it’s time to stain the coffee table. Begin by applying a thin, even layer of wood stain using a cotton rag. Allow the stain to penetrate fully before wiping off the excess. If you’re using a colored stain, repeat the staining process until you get the desired color. Finish off the staining process by applying a coat of polyurethane to seal and protect the wood.
Step Four: Enjoy Your Refinished Coffee Table
Finally, enjoy your newly refinished coffee table! Refinishing furniture is a great way to refresh your décor and brings out the beauty in older wooden pieces.