Refinishing a Veneer Coffee Table
If you’ve got an old veneer coffee table you’d like to refinish, this project can help you spruce up the table and give it a new life. Here’s a step-by-step guide to refinishing a veneer coffee table:
Step 1: Prep the Table
- Remove any Hardware: If there are any nails, hinges, knobs, handles, or other hardware on the table, use the appropriate tools to remove them.
- Sand the Table: Use a fine-grit sandpaper to lightly sand down the surface of the table. This will help prepare the wood for refinishing.
- Clean the Table: Remove all sanding dust by wiping down the table with a tack cloth or a damp cloth and cleaner.
Step 2: Refinish the Table
Once the table is prepped, you can begin the refinishing. Here’s what you need to do:
- Apply Primer: If you have a dark piece of furniture, you may want to apply a coat of primer before painting. Be sure to sand between each coat.
- Paint: Choose a paint finish that you like, and brush the paint onto the table in even strokes. Again, be sure to sand between coats.
- Seal: Once you’ve achieved the desired look with paint, apply a coat of sealant or polyurethane for protection.
Step 3: Reattach Hardware
Once the table is fully dry, you can begin reattaching the hardware. This step may require tools such as a drill, screwdriver, or wrench.
Step 4: Enjoy the Table
Congratulations, you’ve now successfully refinished a veneer coffee table! Enjoy your new table, and all the hard work you put into it.