Refinishing a Mahogany Coffee Table
Refinishing a mahogany coffee table is a straightforward and rewarding project that you can complete in a single day. This guide will help you get started.
Things You’ll need
- Sandpaper: Coarse, medium, and fine-grit sandpaper
- Finishing Tools: Rag, tack cloth, brush, foam applicator, foam roller
- Stain: Oil-based or water-based wood stain
- Finish: Water-based or oil-based wood finish
- Protective Gear: Protective eyewear, dust mask, gloves
- Strip off existing finish on table. This can be done with non-toxic, chemical strippers. If you are using a chemical stripper, follow manufacturer’s instructions for use.
- Sand the table with coarse, medium and fine-grit sandpaper. Make sure to sand in the direction of the grain.
- Wipe the table down with a rag to remove all dust, then use a tack cloth to remove any remaining dust.
- Apply stain with a brush or foam applicator. Use an old rag to remove any excess stain and blend edges.
- Allow stain to dry completely before applying the finish. Clear finishes require more drying time than pigment based stains.
- Apply finish with a brush, foam roller, or rag in thin even coats. Allow ample drying time between coats.
Refinishing a mahogany coffee table is a relatively easy project and can be done in a single day. With the right tools and materials and a bit of patience, you can have a beautiful, refinished coffee table that will add charm to any home.