How to Redo a Wooden Coffee Table
Wooden coffee tables are an attractive and timeless addition to any living area. If yours is looking a little dull or shabby, you can easily give it a makeover to restore its beautiful gleam. Here’s how:
Step 1: Prep Your Table
- Clean the surface of your coffee table with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or dust.
- Scrub with a mild solution of soap and water to remove any persistent grime.
- Sand the surface lightly with medium-grit sandpaper. Don’t sand too deeply – you only want to remove the surface layer.
- Vacuum the area to remove any remnants of sanding.
Step 2: Add New Stain
- Choose a wood stain that matches the existing color of your coffee table.
- Using a brush, apply a thin layer of stain to the table’s surface.
- Wait 15 minutes, then apply a second coat.
- Allow the stain to dry for 24 hours before proceeding.
Step 3: Apply the Top Coat
- Choose a sealant or top coat that is suitable for the type of wood in your coffee table.
- Using a brush, apply a thin layer of the sealant to the entire surface.
- Wait 20 minutes, then apply a second coat.
- Allow the sealant to dry overnight, or at least 8 hours.
Step 4: Touch up and Restore
- Polish the surface with a mixture of 1 part furniture oil and 8 parts mineral spirits.
- Wipe away any excess with a dry cloth and buff the surface to bring out the beauty of the wood grain.
- Enjoy your beautiful and newly restored coffee table!
Redoing your wooden coffee table is easy and rewarding! With a few hours of effort, you can enjoy a beautiful and attractive piece of furniture for years to come.