Protecting Your Coffee Table From Scratches
It’s easy to scratch up a coffee table, whether they’re wooden or glass. Here are some simple and effective ways to protect your coffee table from scratches:
- Designate a drink holder: Always keep a coaster on the coffee table for drinks, and make sure everyone uses it. This is an easy way to make sure no cups are put directly on the table top.
- Create boundaries: Put a table cover or placemats on the table to keep items from scratching against the surface when moved around.
- Choose materials that are less likely to scratch: Pick coffee tables made from materials like marble, granite, and tempered glass that are less likely to get scratched.
- Use furniture wax: Apply furniture wax or shoe polish on scratched surfaces to hide tarnish marks.
- Polish with oil: If your coffee table is made of wood, apply some linseed oil or furniture oil on the scratches. This will rejuvenate the wood and help fill any nicks or scratches.
- Use a homedade mixture: Combine 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1/3 cup of baking soda. Spread the mixture onto scratches and rub gently. Rinse off with warm water afterwards.
- Wipe down surfaces regularly: Regular daily dusting and wiping off of the coffee table helps keep it looking new.
- Re-apply polish: Depending on the material and usage of your coffee table, you may need to apply polish once or twice a year to keep it looking shiny and new.
- Book annual waxing: If you use your coffee table frequently, consider having a professional refinish the table with wax once or twice a year so its shines and looks the same for years.
Protecting your coffee table from scratches can help it last for years. Utilizing preventative measures, regular maintenance, and quick scratch repairs are all effective ways to ensure your coffee table lasts for as long as possible.