Painting a Slate on Wood Coffee Table
Transforming an old wooden coffee table with a new slate finish can add a unique look and style to your home, and the job can easily be accomplished with just a few simple tools and materials. Here’s how to get started:
Gather the Materials
You will need:
- Paint roller
- Paint tray
- Primer or sealer
- Tack cloths
- Paint brush
- Latex or Acrylic paint
- Old rag
Prepare the Surface
- Clean the wood: Start by cleaning the wood with a damp cloth and let dry.
- Sand the wood: Once dry, lightly sand the wood with a medium to fine grain sandpaper.
- Apply the sealer: Using a paint roller, apply a coat of primer or sealer to the surface and let it dry for about 24 hours.
- Wipe the surface: Once the sealer is dry, use a tack cloth to wipe away any dust.
Paint the Slate
- Mix the paint: Pour the paint into a paint tray and mix it with a paint brush.
- Apply the paint: Start by applying the first coat of paint with a paint roller. Make sure to use long, even strokes.
- Let dry and repeat: Allow the paint to dry for at least 8 hours before adding a second coat. Repeat the same steps for the second coat.
- Add a top coat: Once the second coat is dry, apply a topcoat or sealer with a soft rag and let dry.
Now you have a brand new slate finish on your wooden coffee table. Enjoy!