Painting your Coffee Table: Best Practices
A painted coffee table can provide a stylish, vibrant addition to your home. With some knowledge, preparation and the right materials, you can give it just the look you’ve dreamed of. Follow these steps for the best results.
Gather Your Materials
- Paint and primer
- Sanding block
- Painter’s tape
- Soft cloths
- Painting supplies (brush, roller, drop cloth)
Prepare your Table
- Clean the surface with a degreaser, then wipe it down with a clean cloth.
- Sand the surface with fine-grit sandpaper and a sanding block.
- Wipe the dust off the table with a damp cloth.
- Apply painter’s tape to any areas you don’t want painted.
- Lay a drop cloth down for protection.
Apply the Paint
- Apply a coat of primer and allow it to dry completely.
- Once the primer is dry, apply the paint in thin, even coats.
- Allow each coat to dry before applying additional coats.
- When the last coat is dry, carefully remove the painter’s tape.
- You can leave it as is, or apply a clear sealant to protect the surface.
Now your coffee table is ready to enjoy. With the right tools and patience, you can achieve a modern, stylish look in your home.