How to Paint an Old Coffee Table
Are you looking to give an old coffee table a new life? Whether you’re painting an heirloom piece you already have or a thrift store find, freshening up your coffee table is a simple way to spruce up your living room. Here are some tips to help you make your coffee table look brand new.
- Choose a paint. Choose a paint that is easy to work with and is suitable for the furniture surface you’ll be working on. Gloss enamel or water-based acrylics are both good choices for wooden furniture.
- Lightly sand the surface. Lightly sanding the table prior to painting gives the paint something to stick to, so it’ll last longer.
- Clean and wipe down the surface.Using a damp cloth, clean the table to remove any built-up dust and dirt.
- Prime the table. Using a paintbrush, apply a primer to the table. This will help the paint to adhere better and provide a more even finish.
- Apply the paint. Using a paintbrush, start applying the paint in long, even strokes. Allow the first coat to dry before applying a second coat.
- Sand in between coats. Depending on the surface of the table, lightly sanding in between coats can help foster a longer-lasting result.
- Choose your finish. For a classic look, top off your painting project with a water-based polyurethane sealant. This will add an extra layer of protection, and shine, to your table.
Freshen up an old table with a coat of paint and give your room a new look. Don’t be scared away by the prospect of painting furniture. With the right equipment, patience and a good plan, you can successfully and affordably transform an old coffee table into something new.