How to Paint an Old Coffee Table
Painting an old coffee table can be a great way to add character to your home. It can also serve as a creative way to refresh the look of an old piece of furniture. Follow these steps to ensure a successful paint job that will last for years.
Materials You Will Need:
- Sandpaper. Pick up coarse-grit sandpaper for the best results.
- Primer. Choose an appropriate primer to protect the wood from damage.
- Paint. Pick out the perfect paint for your project.
- Paintbrush and/or roller. Choose the ideal tool for applying your paint.
- Finishing sealant. Choose a sealant that matches your paint.
- Start by sanding off any excess paint and smoothing out the surface. This will give you a nice clean starting point. Use the coarse-grit sandpaper and gently begin sanding the table until it’s ready to accept the primer.
- Once the surface is ready, it’s time to prime the table. Choose a water-based or oil-based primer, depending on what kind of paint you plan to use for the job. Make sure to follow the instructions on the can for the best results.
- Once the primer has dried, it’s time to paint the table. Use a brush or a roller, depending on what look you prefer. As you’re painting, keep in mind that the key to a successful job is to work in even strokes and not leave streaks.
- Let the paint dry completely before applying a finishing sealant. This will help to protect the paint from wear and tear in the future. Choose a sealant that matches the type of paint you used for the job for the best results.
- Voila! You now have a newly-painted coffee table that is sure to make your home look stylish for years to come. Enjoy!