Making a Coffee Table Out of a 10″ Windshield
If you are looking to get some ‘do-it-yourself’ creativity going, then making a coffee table out of a 10″ windshield is an excellent project. Here’s a step-by-step guide to turning a windshield into a functional, stylish piece of furniture.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
For this project, you will need the following materials:
- Windshield – Make sure it measures 10” in diameter.
- Plywood – To create the base for the table.
- Glue or Cement – To adhere the windshield to the plywood.
- Varnish – For an attractive, protective finish.
- Kilz Primer – To create a clean base for the varnish.
- Sandpaper – To smoothen the surfaces before priming.
- Table Legs – To support the table.
- Bolts and Screws – For attaching the legs to the base.
Step 2: Preparing the Windshield and Base
- Start by preparing the windshield by cleaning it with a glass cleaner. Then, use the sandpaper to smoothen out the edges of the windshield.
- Cut the plywood in the shape of a circle that is slightly larger than the windshield. This will be the base for the table.
- Next, use the glue or cement to attach the windshield to the plywood.
Step 3: Applying Primer and Varnish
- Once the windshield and base are ready, cover the surface with Kilz Primer using a paint brush.
- Let the primer dry completely before applying the varnish. This will give you a more even finish.
- Once the primer is dry, apply a coat of varnish using a paint brush. Pay special attention to the edges of the windshield.
- Let the varnish dry completely before proceeding to the next step.
Step 4: Assembling the Table
- Now it’s time to assemble the table. Place the prepared base on top of the table legs and securely attach them with the bolts and screws.
- Once the table is assembled, you can now start decorating the table by adding items such as plant pots, books, and even a vase of flowers.
- Enjoy your DIY coffee table!
Making a coffee table out of a 10″ windshield is a great way to express your creativity and create an eye-catching piece of furniture. With the right materials, a bit of planning and preparation, you’ll be able to turn an ordinary windshield into a beautiful piece of furniture.