How to make a Tree Stump Coffee Table
Making a tree stump coffee table is a great way to upcycle your extra tree stumps into a fashionable and functional furniture item. At the same time, you can express your creativity as you choose a unique shape and wood type for your piece.
Gather Your Supplies
You’ll need the following items to make your tree stump coffee table:
- Tree stump: You can choose whichever one you prefer. Consider size, shape, and wood type.
- Sandpaper: Grit sizes of 80, 120, and 180 will cover most of your sanding.
- High-grit sanding sponge: You’ll want one with a finer grit for more precise sanding.
- Tack cloth: To remove any sanding residue and clean your piece.
- Sealant: This will protect your coffee table surface, as well as bring out its natural colors.
- Table legs: This is what your coffee table will sit on. Choose a style and color that fits your preference.
- Hinges: If you plan to use your table as storage, you’ll need some hinges.
- Drill and drill bits: You’ll need these to secure the table legs and hinge.
Sand Your Piece
Once you have all your supplies, it’s time to start sanding. Start by using the coarse sandpaper (80-grit), then move up to the 120-grit and finally the 180-grit. You should take the time to sand your stump thoroughly, as this will help you get the smooth finish you’re looking for.
Apply a Sealant
Once your piece has been sanded to perfection, it’s time to apply a sealant. This will bring out the wood’s natural colors and protect it from spills, dirt, and general wear and tear. You can use a water-based polyurethane sealant or a wax sealant depending on your preference.
Attach the Legs and Hinge
When your sealant has dried, it’s time to attach the legs and hinge. Make sure the legs are firmly fixed to the bottom of the tree stump. Once you have these securely in place, use the drill bit to make the holes for the hinges. Then use the drill to attach the hinges to the tree stump.
Enjoy Your Tree Stump Coffee Table!
You’ve now taken a simple tree stump and turned it into a stylish and functional coffee table. Enjoy your new piece and the compliments you’ll receive!