How to Make a Small DIY Coffee Table
- Table saw
- Table sander
- Drill and drill bits
- Wood glue
- Medium-grit sandpaper
- Finishing nails or brads
- Wood stain/paint
- Paint brush/stain applicator
- Wood screws
Create the Table Top
- Use the table saw to cut two pieces of wood to 24” (about 61 cm) in length.
- Cut two additional pieces to 14” (about 35 cm).
- Use the table sander to sand down the cut pieces until they are smooth.
- Apply wood glue to the short pieces and place them on either end of the longer pieces.
- Use the finishing nails or brads to secure the pieces together.
- Check the pieces to make sure they are secured together and do not move.
Create the Legs
- Cut four pieces of wood to 10” (about 25 cm) in length.
- Sand down the pieces until they are smooth.
- Drill four holes into each piece that line up when two pieces are stacked on top of each other.
- This will create the mortise and tenon joint that will hold the legs together.
- Put the screws into the mortise and tenon joint and tighten them.
- Once the legs have been secured together, set aside.
Assemble the Coffee Table
- Apply wood glue to the top of the legs.
- Place the legs on the underside of the table top.
- Screw the legs into the table top.
- Allow the glue to dry overnight.
- Use the medium-grit sandpaper to sand away any areas that may have been missed before.
- Apply your chosen finish (stain or paint).
- Allow to dry for 24 hours before using.
Creating a DIY coffee table is a simple yet rewarding project. With the correct tools and materials, you can easily make a beautiful addition to your home.