Creating a Slab Wood Coffee Table: The Basics
Making a slab wood coffee table is a great way to make a unique addition to any living space. From selecting the right slab of wood to prepping it for the perfect finish, crafting a custom look can quickly become a weekend DIY project.
Step 1: Select and Purchase the Wood
Wood slabs often come in a variety of shapes and sizes, which can be overwhelming – but determining the size of the table is the first step!
When shopping for wood, consider both the size your preferred table design and the wood type you’d like.
Options can include popular woods like walnut, cherry, and oak, as well as rarer and more expensive slabs like zebrano, sapele and ebony.
Be sure to factor in the cost of not just the slab itself, but the shipping and the other materials you may need to complete the project.
Step 2: Prepare the Slab
Most slab wood purchases come relatively unfinished – and they’ll require some prepping before they look perfect in your living space.
- Shape the edges – use a sander and a router to create smoother edges and a more specific shape.
- mitre the corners – avoid having sharp corners and use a chop saw to make mitres.
- Sand down any splits or unevenness – a belt sander is best for this, followed by a hand sander to get into small details.
Step 3: Finishing Touches
Once you’ve got your slab prepped and ready, you’ve got three main finishing options.
- Finish it with oil – this creates a natural sheen and look to the wood, with minimal effort.
- Stain – stain can add color and texture to your piece, and can help even out the look of any splits or patches in the wood.
- Wax – waxing will result in greater protection and a more intense sheen.
Step 4: final assembly & Add Accessories
Be sure to have the proper tools and hardware necessary for assembly, like screws and dowels. You can even add a glass top for a seamless surface. Once the table is assembled, feel free to add a few accessories such as a lamp or plants to finish off your design.
Creating a custom slab wood coffee table can be a great weekend project that helps brightens up any living space. For more detailed steps, please refer to online resources and tutorials.