How to Make a Coffee Table Wood Top
Creating a wood top for a coffee table is both practical and attractive. With some easy-to-find materials and a little DIY know-how, you can make a sturdy wood top for a coffee table in no time.
Things You Will Need
- Wood Materials
- Table Saw or Circular Saw
- Wood Glue
- Wood Finishing Materials (Stain, Polyurethane)
- Measure your desired top surface and cut the wood to size. Measure the size of the desired top surface of your coffee table and then cut the pieces of wood to size to cover the surface. Be sure to use the proper safety gear when operating a saw such as eye protection and dust masks.
- Sand the wood pieces and edges. After you have cut the wood to size, be sure to sand the pieces and edges to create a smooth, even surface.
- Glue the pieces together. Apply wood glue liberally across the pieces and edges to ensure that the wood is firmly held together at the contact points.
- Clamp and allow for the glue to dry. Secure the wood pieces together with a C-clamp or other clamping device and allow for the glue to dry fully.
- Apply wood finishing materials. Once the glue has dried, you can apply a wood stain if desired, followed by a polyurethane top-coat to protect the wood and improve its luster.
- Install the top onto your coffee table. Secure the top to the coffee table, either with nails or screws, and ensure the surface is even.
Now you have a custom wood top for your coffee table. With proper maintenance, it will last for years to come.