How to make a Coffee Table Base
You could build a sturdy, stylish coffee table for your living room without any trouble if you had the right instructions. Look no further! This guide will provide you with the steps necessary to craft your own coffee table base with ease.
First and foremost, you will need to gather the necessary materials before beginning. You will need the following items:
- 1 sheet of 3/4″ plywood
- 2 – 2x2x8’ boards
- 1 – 2x4x8’ board
- 2 – 1x2x8’ boards
- 1-1/4” pocket hole screws
- 2-1/2” pocket hole screws
- 2-3/4” pocket hole screws
- Wood glue
Now that you have all the necessary items, we can start constructing your coffee table base. Here are the steps:
- Cut your boards: First, you’ll need to cut your boards to the desired lengths. Cut one 2x2x8’ board into four pieces, two at 21” long and two at 17” long. Cut your 2x4x8’ board into four pieces, two at 21” long and two at 17” long. Cut the 1x2x8’ board into eight pieces, four at 21” long and four at 17” long. Finally, cut your plywood sheet into one 22” by 22” piece.
- Create the outer frame: Begin by creating the outer frame. Attach the four 21” 2x2x8’ boards to the four 21” 2x4x8’ boards. Secure them together with pocket hole screws.
- Create the interior structure: Attach the four 17” 2x2x8’ boards to the four 17” 2x4x8’ boards. Secure them together with pocket hole screws.
- Attach interior structure to outer frame: Create the middle support for the coffee table base by attaching the two structures you just created together. Using pocket hole screws, attach the 17” boards to the 21” boards.
- Attach plywood sheet: After attaching the structures, you’ll need to attach the plywood sheet. Secure the plywood to the structure with 1-1/4” pocket hole screws, making sure to leave a 3/8” gap between each screw. Remember to use wood glue on the edges of the plywood.
- Attach the 1x2x8’ boards: Lastly, attach the 1x2x8’ boards to the structure. Secure them with 2-1/2” pocket hole screws, making sure to leave a 1/8” gap between each screw. Remember to use wood glue between the boards and the structure as well.
- Sand and finish: After assembling the coffee table base, you can sand and finish it as desired. Remember to sand in the direction of the wood grain for best results.
Building a coffee table base is an easy task if you follow the instructions above. With just a few tools and some wood, you can craft your own sturdy and stylish coffee table base with ease.