How to Fix Scratches on a Wood Coffee Table
Sometimes a beautiful wooden coffee table can end up with an unsightly scratch. But now you can easily fix it, thanks to the tips and advice below!
Removing a Scratch From Your Coffee Table
- 1. Identify the type of wood. Different types of wood need different methods for fixing scratches. To identify the wood type, scratch the surface and look at the color and grain. Then, do a search to identify it further.
- 2. Choose an appropriate repair method. Depending on the type of wood and the size of the scratch, you can choose from the following repair methods:
- Using a cloth and walnut oil: This method is suitable for light scratches and is popular for mahogany and cherry wood.
- Using wood filler: This method is suitable for deeper or wider scratches. You can mix wood filler with wood stain for best results.
- Using a wood dye: This method is suitable for scratches that affect the wood’s base color. Choose a dye close to the wood’s natural color.
- 3. Prepare and apply the repair method. Depending on the method, use an appropriate cloth, apply the oils or stains, fill the scratches, and give time to dry. Additionally, you should remove any hardware before you start.
- 4. Refinish the surface. To protect the surface and restore its natural luster, use furniture wax or a topcoat of lacquer.
Scratches on a wood coffee table are not always a problem, as you can use the methods described above to fix them. With patience and a bit of elbow grease, you can make your coffee table look as good as new. Good luck!