How to Fix Scratches on a Glass Coffee Table
Glass coffee tables are one of the most eye-catching furniture pieces you can own. But unfortunately, since glass is quite a fragile material, it can easily get scratched or chipped. Luckily, these scratches and chips can often be repaired in a few simple steps.
What You’ll Need to Fix Scratches on a Coffee Table
- Glass cleaning product
- Glass polishing compound
- Resin filler
- Clear epoxy
- Buffing wheel
Steps To Fix Scratches On A Glass Coffee Table
- Prepare the Surface: Begin by wiping down the scratched area with a glass cleaning product and a soft cloth. If there is dirt or dust on the surface, it will make the scratch more visible optically.
- Apply a Glass Polishing Compound: Rub a small amount of glass polishing compound on a cloth and use it to rub the scratched area in a circular motion. Keep rubbing in a circular pattern until the scratch is harder to see. If the scratch is still visible, try repeating this step with a finer grade of polishing compound.
- Fill In the Chips With Resin: If the coffee table has any major chips, you should fill them with a two part resin filler. Mix the two components together, apply the resin to the chip, and allow it to dry before proceeding.
- Sand the Surface: After the resin has dried, use a medium to fine grit sandpaper to lightly sand the area. This will help to blend the repairs into the table’s surface and make the repair less visible.
- Apply Clear Epoxy: If the scratch is still visible, apply a clear epoxy to the surface. This will create an even, glossy finish that will help to hide the scratch.
- Buff the Surface: Once the epoxy has dried completely, buff the area with a buffing wheel. This will help to further blend the repaired surface with the rest of the table.
Scratches and chips on a glass coffee table are not necessarily the end of the world. With a few basic supplies, you can easily fix them. Follow the steps above and you should be able to restore your beautiful coffee table to its original state.