How to Fix the Finish on a Coffee Table
Tables are often the focal point of the living room or any other area in the house. To keep them looking their best, it is important to properly tend to the finish. Here is a comprehensive guide to patch up the finish on your coffee table.
Tools and Materials Needed
- Stain (preferable matching your existing finish)
- Soft rags
- Sand and Clean the Surface – Start the process by sanding the area with fine sandpaper. Wipe off the coffee table with a damp rag to remove all of the sanding residue.
- Re-Stain the Surface – Use the appropriate stain for the type of wood used for your table. Apply the stain on the surface evenly with a lint-free cloth in the direction of the wood grain. Let the stain dry.
- Apply the Lacquer – Once the stain has dried, apply a thin layer of lacquer in the same direction as the grain. Make sure to spread out the lacquer evenly. Let it dry completely.
- Buff Out the Lacquer – To give the lacquer a glossy finish, use a soft rag to buff the lacquer.
With these few simple steps, you can easily patch up any nicks or scratches and restore the finish on your coffee table. Keep it regularly maintained to keep it looking its best.