What Is a Live Edge Coffee Table?
A live edge coffee table is a coffee table that is made from a single slab of wood and keeps its natural edge. This type of furniture reflects a modern design aesthetic, with organic shapes and a natural beauty that can be emphasized by sanding and staining.
Steps to Finish a Live Edge Coffee Table
Finishing a live edge coffee table can seem like an intimidating process, but with the right preparation and materials, it can be a fun and rewarding project. Here are the steps to complete the process:
- Clean the Wood: Before starting, it’s important to inspect the piece and clean any dirt, dust, or debris from the surface. This can be done with a damp cloth and gentle cleaner.
- Fill the Crack: Any cracks in the wood should be filled with a wood filler that will provide a durable surface. This filler should be applied, sanded, and wiped down with a damp cloth.
- Stain the Table: Once the surface is clean, it’s time to stain the wood. This step will help enhance the wood’s natural grain and protect the surface from scratches and spills. Apply a thin layer of oil-based or water-based stain and allow it to dry.
- Seal the Surface: Sealing the wood will help protect it from humidity and moisture. Use a clear sealer that is designed for exterior use, and apply it evenly with a brush or rag. Allow the sealer to dry according to the instructions on the packaging.
- Enjoy Your Work: After all of the steps are completed and the surface is dry, your live edge coffee table is ready to be enjoyed. Place it in your preferred spot and enjoy its unique look and charm.
Finishing a live edge coffee table is a rewarding and creative process. It requires careful cleaning, sanding, and staining, but with the right materials, anyone can perfect the look and feel of their own table. With a little patience and skill, you can create a stunning piece of furniture that will impress your guests.