How To Clean Glass Coffee Decanter
The Simple Steps for Cleaning
Coffee decanters made out of glass are long-lasting — and so they need regular cleaning. If you want to ensure that your glass coffee decanter will stay looking clean and inviting – and that your coffee will remain tasting great – then take note of the simple steps outlined here.
- Use warm water and gentle soap – While it might be tempting to use stronger cleaners, you should avoid them when cleaning glass coffee decanters. A combination of warm water and gentle soap should usually accomplish the job.
- Do not run through the dishwasher – Even if your decanter is dishwasher-safe, running it through too often can ruin the finish on the outside of the glass. A better option is to hand wash, then rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- No harsh cleansers or abrasives – Harsh cleansers – such as ones containing bleach – should be avoided, as should abrasive scrubbing pads. It’s better to allow the soapy water to sit for a few minutes before scrubbing, then use a non-abrasive cloth or sponge.
- Air dry in a warm environment – After it has been washed, a glass decanter should be air dried in a warm environment. If possible, it’s a good idea to let it sit on the counter or in the cupboard until completely dry.
How to Remove Baked-on Stains
If your coffee decanter has built-up stains that seemingly won’t go away using warm water and gentle soap, here are a couple of additional solutions:
- Try white vinegar and warm water – Mix equal amounts of white vinegar and warm water, and fill the decanter. Allow the solution to sit for a few hours – or overnight – then clean as usual.
- Create a baking soda paste – Create a paste out of baking soda and warm water, then apply the paste to the stain and let it sit for several minutes. Scrub gently with a cloth or sponge until the stain is removed, then rinse thoroughly.
By taking the time to regularly and properly clean a glass coffee decanter, you will be able to keep it clean and inviting — as well as ensuring that your coffee continues to taste as fresh and flavorful as possible.