How to Clean a Coffee Table Aquarium
A coffee table aquarium is an attractive addition to any living room. Having a tank full of colorful fish and plants adds lively energy to any space. However, to make sure your fish stay healthy and your tank is attractive, you need to keep up with regular cleaning and maintenance.
Steps to Clean a Coffee Table Aquarium
- Start by removing any excess algae or gunk from the glass walls of the tank by using an algae scraper or magnet algae cleaner.
- Remove the tank’s filter according to the instruction manual and rinse it with tank water to remove excess buildup and gunk.
- Wipe the outside of the tank and furnishings with a damp cloth.
- Using siphon vacuum, start at the furthest corners of the aquarium and siphon waste from the gravel. After siphoned, rinse the gravel several times with tank water until the drained water runs completely clear.
- If you need to replace the water in the aquarium, use dechlorinated water or let it sit for a day before adding it in; adding dechlorinated water directly to the aquarium may harm the fish.
- Once your aquarium is clean and you have added fresh water, replace the filter and furnishings.
- Once a month, change up to 25 percent of the water in the aquarium. To avoid shocking the fish, make sure that the temperature of the new water matches that of the tank water.
- It’s important to test the water of the aquarium regularly to make sure the right nutrients and minerals are present. A pH testing kit can help you get a good read on the water’s alkalinity and acidity.
- Areas of the tank that may need additional cleaning include the detachable hood of the aquarium, the light fixtures, and any material on the outside of the aquarium.
- Cleaning your aquarium will reduce the amount of fish waste, uneaten food, and algae particles that create unsightly buildup in the tank.
Though it may seem tedious, regular cleaning and maintenance of your coffee table aquarium is necessary for the health of the fish and for keeping the tank clean. Follow the steps above, and you’ll have a beautiful and vibrant aquarium you can be proud of.