How to Build a Coffee Table
Any DIY-minded homeowner can build a functional and stylish coffee table with just a bit of know-how and the right supplies. Here’s how to make a coffee table that’s sure to be a conversation starter.
Gather Materials & Tools
- 4-6 legs (collapsible if desired)
- Screws or bolts
- Table top
- Wood glue
- Carpenter’s saw and screwdriver
- Measuring tape and ruler
- Measure and mark the length and width of the table top.
- Cut the top to the desired size.
- Smooth the edges with sandpaper.
- Apply wood glue along the underside of the tabletop.
Attach Legs to Tabletop
- Select the leg positioning and height. Position the legs 24 inches apart and make sure to keep the height 7-8 inches lower than a standard sofa.
- Secure the legs to the tabletop with screws or bolts.
- Stand the table up and check for wobbles.
- Apply felt pads or another material of your choice under each leg for grip and stability.
Decorate & Enjoy!
- Painting, staining, or applying a clear protective finish are all optional steps depending on your desired end look.
- Accessorize the table with coasters, plants, books, and other decorative items.
- Enjoy your new coffee table and have a cup of coffee!