How to construct a mission style coffee table?
Building furniture from scratch is a fun and rewarding experience. Not only will this give you a sense of accomplishment, but you will also be saving a lot money. Constructing a mission style coffee table can be done with some wood working knowledge and some tools.
- Circular Saw
- Table Saw
- Belt Sander
- Drill & Bits
- Trouble Square
- Straight Edge (plywood, MDF, etc)
- Lumber (pine, oak, maple, etc)
- Wood Glue
- Wood Filler
- Stain & Finish
- Hardware (hinges, knobs, etc)
Steps for Construction
- Cut the straight edge to size on the table saw. Use the trouble square to make sure the edges are straight and true.
- Cut the boards to size on the circular saw. Sand the boards to smooth out any imperfections.
- Assemble the frame of the table using the wood glue and screws. Clamp the corners and let dry.
- Apply the wood glue along the edges of the frame and to the straight edge. Put the straight edge into place and clamp for 15 minutes.
- Drill holes for the hardware. Hammer in the hinges and the other hardware into the frame.
- Sand the table to remove any leftover glue and to smooth out the surfaces. Fill in any gaps or imperfections with wood filler.
- Stain the table and apply the finish. Let dry and enjoy your new mission style coffee table.
Building a mission style coffee table is an easy and rewarding woodworking project that can be done with minimal tools and supplies. With a little bit of knowledge, you can build an attractive piece of furniture that will be the center of attention in any room.