Build a Live Edge Coffee Table
Live edge furniture is an iconic style that will never go out of fashion. A live edge coffee table is perfect for bringing a raw and earthy feel to your home. Building a live edge coffee table is a relatively simple project, and you can use the table as a unique conversation starter in your home.
Steps to Building a Live Edge Table
- Selecting Your Board – Choose your board carefully when buying live edge lumber. It should be flat and without any cracks that might affect its strength. You should also look for a board with interesting features like knots or twisted grain.
- Cutting the Lumber – Cut the board to the size of your coffee table top. Make sure you take into account the live edge when measuring and cut carefully. The live edge is what gives the coffee table its distinctive look so you want to make sure you don’t lose too much of it.
- Smoothing the Edges – Once you have cut your board, use an orbital sander to smooth the edges of the board. This will give it a clean look and make it easier to attach the legs later.
- Bonding and Sealing – Use a wood glue to bond the board together. You should then use a sealer to protect it from the elements and give it a protective sheen.
- Attaching the Legs – Attach the legs using either screws or a pocket hole system. Make sure you pre-drill the holes in the board before attaching the legs. You can use a clamp to make sure the legs stay in place while you attach them.
- Finishing Touches – If you want to give your coffee table an extra touch, you can add a wood finish to the top. This can be a stain that matches your décor or a clear coat to give the table an extra shine.
Building a live edge coffee table is an easy and exciting project to take on, and it will add a raw and earthy feel to any home. Be sure to take your time when selecting the board, and follow the steps above to create a beautiful and strong live edge table.