How to Build a Hidden Gun Coffee Table
Adding a hidden gun compartment to a coffee table is the perfect way to keep your firearm secure while also adding some style. Building your own hidden gun coffee table is relatively easy and only requires some basic materials and tools.
Step 1: Choose Table Components
- Start by selecting all the parts of the coffee table. Choose a tabletop or a prefabricated coffee table, depending on the size and style you want. A solid wood coffee table is preferable as it will likely be more durable.
- Decide on the height of the table, and pick four appropriate table legs. Make sure the legs are sturdy and match in design, as the legs will be the visual centerpiece of the table.
- Choose the hardware for assembling the table. Make sure the screws are strong enough for the weight of the tabletop and the gun compartment.
Step 2: Create the Gun Compartment
- Cut up a piece of plywood to fit in the bottom of the table. Measure the exact size of the table, then add 1/2″ to each side.
- Drill holes in all four corners of the plywood. The holes will help ensure the gun compartment is firmly secured to the bottom of the coffee table.
- Place the gun compartment in the coffee table and attach the bottom of the table using the drilled holes.
Step 3: Create a Concealment Door
- Measure the opening of the gun compartment, then cut a piece of wood to that size.
- Attach two long and two shorter hinges to the door. Make sure the hinge side connects to the top and bottom of the door.
- Attach the door to the gun compartment. Make sure it fits snugly and secure the hinges with screws.
- Add any extra design touches, such as metal inlays or a stain to the door to match the coffee table.
Creating a hidden gun coffee table is a relatively simple and straightforward process. As long as you have all the right materials, it shouldn’t take more than a few hours to build. With your new gun coffee table, you can keep your firearm secure and close at hand while also adding details of style to your home.