How to Build a Floating Top Coffee Table
Building a floating top coffee table is a relatively simple project. It requires minimal skills to pull off, and the results will be a table that looks custom made and yet still fits your budget. Here’s what you need to know to build your own floating top coffee table.
Tools & Materials You’ll Need:
- Circular saw or jigsaw
- Cordless drill
- Wood glue
- Table saw
- 1 ¼-inch pocket screws
- 1×4 lumber (enough for 20-inch wide top, 12-inch deep top, and 4 short legs)
- 2×2 lumber for reinforced framing
- Hardwood of choice for table top
- Hinges (enough to fit both sides of the table top)
- Pin nails
- Sandpaper (medium grit)
- Wood filler
- Paint or stain of choice
Steps To Build Your Floating Top Coffee Table:
- Measure and cut the wood parts to the appropriate lengths. This includes the four legs, four sides, the top, and the reinforcing boards.
- Assemble the frame for the sides. Make sure to use the pocket screws for the frame. If you are adding reinforcing boards to the frame use the pin nails to secure them in place.
- Attach the legs to the sides of the frame. Make sure each leg is even with the other, and is secure to the frame.
- Sand the frame and the legs, then use wood filler to cover any irregularities that may have occurred from cutting the wood pieces.
- Measure and cut out the top. Make sure it is the appropriate size for your frame. If you’re using hardwood, make sure to be careful, because it is brittle and prone to cracking.
- Attach the hinges to both sides of the top. Make sure each side is even and that the hinge is secure.
- Attach the top to the frame, making sure it is even with the sides and legs.
- Paint or stain your table as desired.
- Let the table dry, and you’re done!
Now you have a custom, floating top coffee table that you made yourself. Enjoy it for years to come, and show off your craftsmanship to your friends and family!