Buying Coffee Tables — How Thick Should They Be?
Finding the perfect coffee table can be a challenge. The size of your living room, budget and personal taste all come into play. One aspect of the coffee table that’s often overlooked is the thickness. Knowing what size to look for will help you find the right piece of furniture to suit your preferences.
How Thick Should a Coffee Table Be?
When it comes to coffee tables, the perfect thickness really depends on your lifestyle and style preference. Generally, coffee tables should be between 8 and 14 inches thick. Here are a few recommendations to help guide you on which size is best for you:
- Small Family Rooms — Look for a coffee table with a thickness of 10-14 inches. This size will make the room feel larger and provide the perfect surface for family activities.
- Large Family Rooms — Select one that’s 8-12 inches thick. This size won’t overwhelm the space.
- Modern/Contemporary Style — Try out 15-18 inches for a striking contemporary look. This size gives the room a spacious feel and is great for showcasing art and displaying accessories.
- Small Spaces — An 8-inch thickness is ideal for making the room feel bigger and having room to move around.
Important Factors to Consider
It’s important to consider the importance of the thickness when selecting the best coffee table for your space. Here are some things to consider:
- Durability — The thicker the table, the more weight it can bear and the more wear it can handle.
- Style — A thicker table may be preferable if you’re looking to create a bold statement or incorporate a vintage or rustic look.
- Functionality — Consider a thicker table if you plan on using it for activities such as puzzles or board games.
Finding the right coffee table is all about balancing function and form. When it comes to thickness, there’s no single size that’s perfect for every situation. By taking into account these guidelines and your own style preference, you’ll be able to find the perfect coffee table for your home.