Does Heating an Empty Glass Coffee Pot Shatter it?
Whether you are preparing espresso or regular pot of coffee, it is dangerous to heat an empty glass coffee pot. Doing so can seriously injure you or, in some cases, even shatter the pot, which can cause great harm. Therefore, it is important to handle these appliances with extreme caution so that you and your family are kept safe.
Reasons Why an Empty Glass Pot Can Shatter
- The glass isn’t sturdy enough for the heat.
- The pot was made with a thin wall.
- The materials of the pot have weakened from age.
Things You Can Do to Prevent Accidents
- Always fill the pot with liquid before heating.
- Never leave the pot unattended while it is being heated.
- Be aware of any previously existing cracks in the glass.
- Regularly check to see if the pot is fit to use.
- Turn off the heat as soon as it boils.
- If in doubt, discard the pot and buy a new one.
If you want to avoid potential accidents and disasters when heating a glass coffee pot, it’s important to follow the above guidelines and to use common sense. Don’t ever fill it with coffee grounds or put it on the heat without liquid. Don’t ever use a pot with a crack in it and never leave it under the heat unattended. Taking basic safety precautions should keep you and your family safe.