Can You Refinish an Oak Coffee Table That is Bubbled Up?
Most oak coffee tables can be refinished if they are bubbled up. The good news is that with proper care and attention, the table can be returned to its original condition. This article will discuss how to restore your bubbled up oak coffee table.
Steps to Refinish the Coffee Table
- Surface Cleaning: First, use a stiff brush with a mixture of soap and warm water to thoroughly clean the table’s surface. This will remove any dirt and grease that may have accumulated on the furniture.
- Sanding: Once the surface has been thoroughly cleaned, use 120-grit sandpaper to sand the entire table. This will prepare it for refinishing.
- Stripping: If the coffee table is coated in an old finish, then you will need to strip it off. Use chemical furniture stripper to remove the old polish. Be sure to wear a mask and gloves when applying the stripper.
- Staining: After stripping the table, apply a stain of your chosen color to give the table a more vibrant appearance. Allow it to dry before proceeding to the next step.
- Finishing: Apply several coats of polyurethane or lacquer to the table. Allow each coat to dry before applying the next one. Once finished, your bubbled up oak coffee table should look like new!
Restoring a bubbled up oak coffee table can be a daunting task, but with patience and care, it is possible to bring the furniture back to its original condition. By taking the time to properly clean, sand, strip, stain, and finish the table, you can bring it back to life.