What You Need to Know About Refinishing a Coffee Table
A coffee table can easily become the centerpiece of a living room and when it’s looking a bit drab, you may think about refinishing it. Refinishing a coffee table can bring new life back to your furniture and give your living room a whole new look. Here’s what you need to know:
What’s Involved in Refinishing a Coffee Table?
Refinishing a coffee table can take some time, but it’s a job you can do yourself if you have basic DIY skills. The steps involved are:
- Stripping off the old finish: You’ll need to use either paint stripper or sandpaper to remove the existing varnish or stain.
- Cleaning the wood: Once the old finish has been removed, the wood should be cleaned with a vacuum and a damp cloth.
- Sanding the wood: If you want a smooth finish, the wood needs to be sanded using sandpaper.
- Applying a new finish: You can choose a varnish or stain, depending on the look you’re going for. Use a brush or roller to apply a thin, even coat.
Tips for Refinishing a Coffee Table
- Wear protective gear: Remember to wear safety goggles and a dust mask to protect your eyes and lungs when sanding and handling any products.
- Work in an open space: Make sure you choose a well-ventilated space when refinishing a coffee table, and use a drop cloth to protect your floor.
- Shop around for tools: You can buy specialist tools and products from a hardware shop or online, so take some time to shop around and compare prices.
- Test the stain before applying it: Before applying a stain to the coffee table, test it on a scrap of the same wood to make sure you like the color.
Refinishing a coffee table isn’t too complicated, but it’s worth taking the time to do it properly so that the finished look is a high quality one. With this guide and some patience, your coffee table will soon look as good as new!