Can You Microwave Glass Coffee Cups?
Most coffee lovers are well aware of the convenience of modern coffee makers, but some might not know that microwaves can also help make your coffee in a pinch. If you’re wondering if you can use a glass coffee cup in a microwave, the answer is yes — but keep in mind that there are a few precautions you should follow.
Safety Precautions When Microwaving Glass Coffee Cups
- Never use a glass coffee cup that has metal trim on it. This type of cup is likely to cause sparks in the microwave.
- Inspect the cup for any chips or cracks that could expand in the microwave.
- Always cover the cup with a lid or paper towel before microwaving.
- Check that your cup will be compatible with your microwave’s wattage, as microwaves with too high of a wattage may cause the glass to heat unevenly.
How to Heat a Glass Coffee Cup Safely
- Set your microwave to 50% power. Heating on a lower setting will help keep the glass from heating up too quickly and cracking.
- Heat the cup for 1-1.5 minutes to get a good temperature for your coffee.
- After microwaving, use a dry oven mitt or pot holder to handle the heated cup.
- Check your cup after each heating session, to make sure it still is undamaged.
Glass coffee cups can be safely used in microwaves, but always make sure that they are not damaged or have any metal trim and that they work with your microwave’s wattage. Following the safety precautions mentioned above should help you get your coffee the safe and easy way.