Can Glass Coffee Jars Go in Microwave?
You may use a glass jar to store freshly-brewed coffee but can it be used to heat it in a microwave oven too?
Pros of Heating Coffee in a Jar in a Microwave
There are some advantages to heating coffee in a glass jar:
- One Step Process: You can combine the step of transferring coffee from one vessel to another and directly heat it up in the jar.
- Heat Retention: Glass is known to be a good conductor of heat, which helps maintain the temperature of the coffee for a longer period of time.
- Easy to Clean: You can rinse and air-dry the glass container as soon as you have finished heating and drinking your coffee.
Cons of Heating Coffee in a Jar in a Microwave
On the other hand, there are drawbacks to using glass coffee jars in the microwave:
- Product Damage: Glass can be fragile and some glass jars may not be able to tolerate the heat of the microwave and get damaged.
- Explosion: If the glass jar is exposed to heat for too long, it may explode.
- Fragmentation: Overheating may lead to fragmentation of the glass.
Glass jars are not ideal for heating coffee in a microwave because of the risk of product damage, explosion and fragmentation. Should you still choose to use a glass jar to heat coffee in a microwave, it is important to not overheat and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.