Are Glass Coffee Tables Out of Style?
Glass coffee tables are known for their modern and contemporary appeal, and for long periods of time have been an integral part of many living and family rooms. But today, glass coffee tables have been slowly and steadily going out of style.
Why are Glass Coffee Tables Out of Style?
There are a few reasons why glass coffee tables are in decline.
- Lack of Personality: Glass coffee tables lack the personality and character that many furniture pieces offer, like wood tables. They simply do not bring the same warmth to a home as other materials.
- Lack of Functionality: Another reason why many home owners are trading in their glass coffee tables are because they are fairly non-functional. Most often they sit wide open, with nothing to store items in, like a shelf or drawers, so things can quickly pile up and the coffee table can appear cluttered, regardless of occasional cleaning.
- Safety Concerns: With children and pets in the home, glass coffee tables can actually be quite dangerous. There have been several reports of children bringing them down on themselves, so many parents are erring on the side of caution and choosing a table with a different material.
Are Glass Coffee Tables Coming Back?
Despite the declines in glass coffee table purchases, they may actually be staging a comeback.
- Form and Function: Many glass coffee table designs are now including drawers, shelves, and other storage for extra items, making them more functional then ever. Some on the market also have extra stylistic elements to offer that classic, yet modern look.
- Sustainability: Glass coffee tables have always been and continue to be extremely eco-friendly. Glass tables do not require harvest from forests or other natural resources, and it is 100% recyclable.
- Durability: Properly cared for, many glass coffee tables can last a lifetime. While some materials may crack or warp with wear and tear and age, glass tables can withstand impact and still remain in excellent condition.
Glass coffee tables continue to be out of style. But, with new designs that address their lack of personality and functionality, they may make a comeback in the near future. Despite their further decreases in popularity, they continue to be beloved for their durability, sustainability, and sleekness.