Are Glass Coffee Tables Dangerous?
Glass coffee tables are both stylish and eye-catching pieces of furniture. But are they dangerous – or perfectly safe? Here are the main risks associated with glass coffee tables, and how to mitigate them.
The main danger posed by glass coffee tables is that it can shatter or break. This is especially a risk for toughened or tempered glass types, which are designed to break into small pieces if they are struck unexpectedly.
- To minimize this danger, use non-tempered glass.
- Inspect the glass carefully to make sure there are no scratches or chips that could weaken it further.
- Buffer the edges of the glass with soft furniture covers.
- Always wear gloves when handling and moving the table.
Even if the glass does not break, it can still present a danger if it is not handled properly. The edges of the glass can be sharp and may cause cuts.
- To minimize this danger, use corner protectors to cover the sharp edges.
- Remove these corner protectors when the table is not in use.
- Check for signs of damage regularly to make sure the edge is not exposed.
- Keep the table away from young children and pets.
Glass coffee tables can be a stylish and modern addition to your home. By taking the necessary precautions and staying aware of the potential dangers, you can ensure your glass coffee table is both safe and beautiful.